Overnight oats are similar to oatmeal except thicker, fluffier, and served cold. Flavour add-ins are limitless: For example, before they go in the fridge for the night, you can add yogurt, some chia seeds, half of a sliced banana, and a pinch of salt and cinnamon. Nutritionally, this meal can’t be beat. Full of fiber and protein, it provides a strong start to the day! What are chia seeds? These tiny, dark colored seeds can be found in most health food stores and are a nutritional powerhouse of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Chia is also a complete protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids.
- • 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- • 2/3 cup milk
- • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- • to 2 ½ tablespoons strawberry jam
- • 1 small banana, mashed
- 1. Combine the oats, Greek yogurt, milk, and chia seeds in a bowl or jar, cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- 2. In the morning, stir in the desired mix-ins and enjoy (use the above mix-in combination shown or come up with your own custom flavors!).