As the world becomes more conscious of the corruption within the pharmaceutical industry, alternative medicine has gained popularity. In light of this fact, we would like to share an age-old tonic recipe that will help you maintain your health and fight off common illnesses. Since its discovery – which is an interesting tale in itself – the Four thieves Tonic has been used in households across the world.
There are many speculations surrounding the origins of the tonic, making it near impossible to determine what truly occurred. However, despite the uncertainty of the tale, hundreds of thousands of people worldwide still make and use the Four Thieves tonic, and swear by its effectiveness.
During the great plague of London, in the year 1066, four thieves plundered the homes of the dead and the dying, confident that they would not contract the deadly disease. Upon their eventual capture and conviction, the four thieves offered to reveal their secret of evading the virus in exchange for their freedom.
According to this particular rendition of the tale, the thieves had carried about their possessions a sponge soaked in a vinegar solution, spiced with herbs and other natural ingredients. Soon after, apothecaries announced the latest curative of the plague, called “Four Thieves Vinegar.” The tonic remained on the market, even long after the plague’s disappearance.
Although this tale has likely become skewed – as has the original recipe – the Four Thieves Tonic, also know as the master tonic, is still widely used as a treatment for viral, bacterial, fungal and parasitic conditions. Some even regularly use the tonic to strengthen the immune system during cold and flu seasons.
The following recipe was obtained from Earth. We Are One.
24 oz/700ml Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
¼ cup finely chopped garlic
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 fresh peppers, the hottest you can find
¼ grated ginger
2 tbsp grated horseradish
2 tbsp turmeric powder or 2 pieces of turmeric root
1) Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2) Transfer the mixture to a mason jar.
3) Pour in some apple cider vinegar and fill it to the top. It is best if 2/3 of the jar consists of dry ingredients.
4) Close jar and shake well.
5) Keep the jar in a cool and dry place for 2 weeks. Shake well several times a day.
6) After 14 days, strain the liquid through a plastic strain. For better results, put a gauze over it. Squeeze well to ensure all the juice comes out.
Extra Tip: To reduce waste, the dry mixture can be used to spice up a number of dishes. Oriental dishes, especially.
1) Caution: The tonic is very strong in flavor and is very hot.
2) Take 1 tablespoon every day to strengthen immune system and fight cold.
2) Gargle and swallow.
3) Increase amount every day until you reach a dose of 1 small glass per day (liquor glass).
4) If suffering with a more serious disease of infection, take 1 tablespoon of the tonic 5-6 time per day.
5) The tonic is safe for pregnant women and children – doses must remain small.